Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

St. Valentine Scripture Wreath

Spreading the Love of God is the spirit of St. Valentine's Day!

Here is a Christian craft to decorate your home, classroom or home altar.
I originally got the idea for this wreath from Kaboose.  They called theirs a Paper Conversation Heart Wreath.  For the most part, I followed their instructions at this link, with the exception of the scripture verses.  My tutorial is listed below.
St. Valentine Scripture Heart Wreath:
I began with a sturdy paper plate...
And cut out the middle
These were my other materials...
I looked up scripture on LOVE, using my New American version of the Holy Bible.
I ended up with 8 verses on love.
Did you know that the word love is mentioned approximately 180 times in the New Testament alone?
These were the verses I chose:
  1. "Let Us Love One Another"~1 John 4:7  Full Verse reads:  "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.
  2. "Love Never Ends."~ 1 Corinthians 13 Full Verse reads: "Love never fails. If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing."
  3. "We Love Because He First Loved Us." ~1 John 4:19 Full Verse reads: "We love because he first loved us." (Oops, accidentally wrote 1 John 4:7 on the wreath)
  4. "Love The Lord Your God."~Mark 12:30  Full Verse reads: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength."
  5. "Find Your Delight In The Lord."~Psalm 37:4  Full Verse reads: "Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire."
  6. "I Have Hidden Your Word In My Heart."~Psalm 119:11  Full Verse reads:"In my heart I treasure your promise, that I may not sin against you."
  7. "Love Your Neighbor As Yourself."~Leviticus 19:18  Full Verse reads:"Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."
  8. "Let Love Be Genuine."~Romans 12:9  Full Verse reads:"Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good."
Once I wrote scripture verses on paper hearts, I glued them on paper doilies to make a pretty background.  I used hot glue to connect the finished heart to the paper plate.
All hearts are now connected!  The final touch was a heart in the middle containing an image of the Holy Family since February is dedicated to the Holy Family.  After all, they are the ultimate expression of LOVE!
~The finished product hanging over our Home Altar/Prayer Table~
I just used heart ribbon that I found at the Dollar Tree to hang the wreath!
Happy St. Valentine's Day!
"At the end of our life, we shall be judged by love."
~St. John of the Cross~


I will be linking up to Catholic Icing's
St. Valentine Party...
Be sure to stop over and see all of the fun ideas!

11 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I just stumbled across your blog and am taking a look around! :) +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Mom2Seven! Thanks for stopping by and God Bless you and your family;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. this is so creative Tiffany. I love those quotes you chose, and I'm copying them now. We may have to do something like this as well. thanks for the great idea. (I love the Holy Family heart in the middle!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tiffany,
    You always come up with the best crafts!!!
    I am alwasys inspired
    God Bless
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Tiffany!! I am using your idea tomorrow at my Co-op group! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! thank you so much! You could also put a picture of your family in the middle of the wreath- as love holds us all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this craft. I am going to use it for my Faith Formation Class. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled across this page searching for an idea for a 4th grade prep class that meets once a week. This was not only inspiring as I think they will remember the verses but the song you have playing spoke to me and helped me realize that teaching begins in the home and I will most definitely be doing this craft with my 8 and 4 year old as they do not attend Catholic School but I did for 13 years. Thank you graciously for sharing your ideas freely. May God Bless you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment, Emilia! I am so glad you found this project useful for your class and family. God bless all of those little hands that spread love:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing! I run a youth group for my church and we will be making these for the widows and elderly in our congregation as a service project.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...